SuSE gcc blows up

Now that I threw in the towel on my old P133 and did a shuffle of
computers on my home LAN (the new P600 is my Windoze desktop, and the
firewall/tape server is a P233 of slightly-newer vintage), I've got
a SuSE question.

When I try to compile most downloaded software with the SuSE 6.4
config, I get the following:

  gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

This is the compiler version number:

  richb at envoy > gcc -v
  Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/2.95.2/specs
  gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

Should I switch to a different gcc version?  If so, which?  Or did I
break something (somehow) in the stock distro?

-rich
P.S.  Microcenter (Cambridge) was sold out of all of its low-end systems
except a pair of Compaq P600's.  I've never seen the place so ransacked
as it was Saturday.  Evidence of impending business failure?  Or is there
some major PC supply shortage in the industry?
-