AOL Instant Messenger for Linux?

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 Bobnhlinux at aol.com wrote:

> People,
>
> I read recently about someone who had put together an
> AIM compatible *server*. Since this would be perfect for
> customer service, I am trying to find the reference.
> Anybody have this one? I thought I saw it in a recent Linux
> mag, but haven't run across it yet. It supposedly works with
> AIM, ICQ, & some others.

Are you thinking of Jabber? Jabber is supposed to be a more general
instant messenger server, with hooks into icq, aim, yahoo, and irc, among
others.

As I recall, Jabber didn't actually function as an AIM server; rather, it
supported a plug-in module that acted as an AIM client. The idea, as I
understood it, was to allow you to communicate with people in all the
other message servers from a single buddy list. That, and to provide an
open-source alternative for setting up your own IM services.

Email: jabr at blu.org / URL: http://www.blu.org
ICQ#28611923 / AIM abreauj