changing gatewaydev on notebook

Here's the /etc/sysconfig/network file on my notebook:

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=false
HOSTNAME=wfll01.wallacefloyd.com
DOMAINNAME=wallacefloyd.com
#GATEWAY=172.16.0.1
#GATEWAYDEV=eth0
GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

When I'm in the office, I uncomment the lines currently commented, and
comment the last line.  Then run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart.  Then
do the opposite when I'm home.

Needless to say, this is rather clumsy.  How could I do this more
elegantly?  Perhaps I could change my /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script to
check whether I'm on a network or not, then repond accordingly?  But how
would I do that?

There are many things I could simplify that I don't.  I guess I like the
typing practice.  Plus I feel like if I bury too many things in scripts,
I'll forget how things work.  But this particular annoyance is becoming
bothersome...

--

Ron Peterson
Systems Manager