broadband access

> > It's useful to hear both good and bad stories.  Keep 'em coming ...
>
> > One of the very real problems with Mediaone's "no servers" policy was
> > that  they objected to my running telnetd and sshd.  Several people I
> > talked to made it clear that their service was only for running a web
> > browser,  and  any other use was at best a violation of their service
> > contract.  I'd like my home machine to be accessible from the Net, so
> > that  I  can occasionally grab programs and copy them to a machine at
> > work.  This is clearly outside Mediaone's model of what the  Internet
> > is for, and with only a dial-out connection, it isn't possible.  It's
> > also impossible if you can't (legally) run a server like sshd.
>
> I am also concerned about this. I'm kind of leaning towards MediaOne,
> but I don't want to have my service TOS'ed because I want to SSH into my
> home network! My biggest question is: how actively do they look for
> servers? I don't want to have to switch cable providers in a month or
> two. But on the other hand, MediaOne/AT&T has a free installation
> special... so it won't cost me any money to try.

	FWIW, my current roommate has been running a LAN on mediaone
since 1996, and I've been doing the same since 1997.  I *HATE* mediaone,
and have found my DSL connection much more reliable.  However, mediaone
has never, ever complained about the multitude of servers we're running,
nor the four VPNs we have setup.

	Our mediaone connection goes down several times a week or differing
periods of time.  Their watertown head-end router is noteriously flakey.

-Seth
--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"
-