make command

>You are either not in the right directory or you do
>not have the kernel sources installed on your system.
>Make sure you are in /usr/src/linux, and that you are root.

Just as an aside, please allow me to recommend that instead
of performing all these activities in the one-slip-of-the-
finger-can-ruin-your-ENTIRE-day role of root, you instead
(as root) stand in /usr/src/linux (or wherever) and say:

   chown -R someNormalHuman .
   chgrp -R someNormalHuman .

...and then perform all other kernel-build activities while
logged in as someNormalHuman.  There is nothing sacred about
building a kernel - it's just another program that gets
compiled and linked.  The only thing that needs to be done as
root is the last step where the kernel image (and loadable
modules, if any) get copied to their final destinations.
The ownerships and permissions of the kernel and driver images
are a security issue and therefore need to be placed in their
ultimate destinations by somebody with appropriate privileges,
but everything else can (should?)  be done by a normal luser...

-