Help with LPRng and /etc/printcap

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>I am running Slackware Linux 7.0, kernel 2.2.17 on one box, Solaris 7 on a
>SS 5 on another box, and OpenBSD 2.7 on a third box, all via a LAN.  I
>also have an HP Deskjet 722C color inkjet with a D-Link pocket print
>server and an Intel box with NT 4, all five devices connected to a 5-port
>minihub.
>
>My NT box prints just fine via MS TCP/IP printing.  I have configured and
>installed LPRng on the SS5 and Linux boxes, but every time I try to print
>I get an error of 'Dummy printcap file' job removed, happening within
>seconds of spooling.
>
>The /etc/printcap looks like:
>
>cat /etc/printcap
>lp:
>        :rm=192.168.0.5
>        :rp=printer
>        :if=/usr/local/libexec/filter/ifhp
>

>And yes, I did get the ifhp filters and test those.
>
>So, what else do I need?  I did obtain and compile pmn2ppa for Linux to
>permit printing, but that doesn't seem to have helped much.
>
>Do I need to change my printcap file?  Add another package?

I used `printtool` -- it configures /etc/printcap for you.
Maybe it's a RedHat thing, though, I dunno.

Notes:

1) My printcap file has '\' on the end of each line to escape
the newline.

2) Maybe you need to tell the spool directory, like

    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\

though in `man 5 printcap` it says it defaults to "/var/spool/lpd".

-