Databases - opensource

Roger Day wrote:

> I am busy defining and specifying a project to build a new website for an
> organisation. Integral to this website will be a database. I would like to
> hear from people what choices they have made wrt databases and if they
> turned out to be good or bad choices. So if anyone has had any experience
> with any of the following, or any others, please let me know.
>
> MySQL
> Interbase
> DB2
> PostgreSQL
> DBMaker

I've been using MySQL recently at my job, and it has been working well.
It's fast, and does everything we need it to do.

MySQL does not have transaction support (the ability to bundle multiple
updates up as a unit, and roll the changes back unless all of them
succeed). If your application needs that, you'll have to look elsewhere.
PostgreSQL is one possibility that has been recommended by others; I
haven't used it yet.
-