emacs/print_general networking

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, bill h wrote:

> my emacs question goes like this....
>   i configged my printer(local) with the name lin instead of lp0,
> now i have to print from bash, is this because emacs defaults to lp0?

There are several ways to fix this, but the easiest is this: in your
.profile or .bash_profile, define the PRINTER variable to the name
of your printer, i.e.

  PRINTER=lin
  export PRINTER

>   Now for more networking...
>   i found some good info on tcpdump and other tools, if anyone is interested i will be happy to give you the name of the book. I didn't pay the 50$ though...i paid 1$ for a note book and sat in borders for
> two hours...
>   How do i use telnet? Everytime a try to login it tells me login denied...is this something i have to change in hosts.allow?
>   I want to setup my network so there is 1 root, and many clients(users). How do i start? Do i do something like create an image like norton's ghost? I mean, if every1 has a root on their machine, how do i administrate them?
>   My networking questions are pretty general, if you could point me out in the right direction, I'll figure out the rest!
>   Thanx for the help!
> Bill Holt

Stop what your doing and go to SoftPro and buy yourself a copy of
_Running_Linux_ published by O'Reilly associates.  The kinds of questions
you are asking here and in your last post are way too complicated to
answer in a discussion forum format.

--
Derek Martin
Senior System Administrator