Obtaining Ethernet addresses?

Well since i use to work for mediaone and know lots about cable modems...
Also I am assuming you want the IP address(the MAC should be on the bottom
of the modem).

First you have to MIB walk the headend.
snmpwalk 10.l47.82.1 public |more
(       replace x.147.82.1 with your IP gateway         )

You're looking for something like this:
at.atTable.atEntry.atPhysAddress.1.1.10.147.83.13 =  Hex: 00 00 CA 07 FB
22
at.atTable.atEntry.atNetAddress.1.1.10.147.83.13 = IpAddress: 10.147.83.13
Grep for your cable modem's MAC, there is an ARP entry in the headend
for it's IP address as well(the MAC is on the bottom of the modem).
Now you can MIB walk your cable modem or gather stats to your heart's
content.
Everytime you get renumbered though your modem will get renumbered too.

If your doing this for the arp/bandwith uncap hack(first off it only works
with LanCity type cable modems from mediaone), don't bother m1 has figured
a way to block that(but I have a way to get around it as well e-mail me
for info ;).

Thanx to Bill McDonough for some of this info

Kris Loranger
Network Systems Engineer and Security Consultant
Belenosinc.com
kris at kancer.978.org
IRC:undernet,#978,Kancer AIM:KancerKris
Run Linux, keep the net free!