M$ has developed new business model

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Randall Hofland wrote:

> It appears that Micro$oft has developed a new and potentially very
> profitable business model as described at theregister:

I'm not sure how this is a business model? Microsoft hasn't made any
noises about licensing these advisories -- have they?

To be sure, it's pretty lame. Wouldn't the context of posting such an
advisory (like on SecFocus, where it also has examples, brief
explanations, etc) be covered under "fair use", regardless of the
copyright?

Pretty silly, considering most folks usually go to the source (which in
these cases would be Microsoft's own advisories) anyway to get the full
scoop. All they're doing is pissing people off.

> Unfortunately, it will do little to encourage anyone at Micro$oft to fix
> their record of software bugs but it may serve to replace the lost
> revenue that Linux seems to be inflicting.

If I were Microsoft I'd spend less time worrying about Linux and more time
worrying about what Sun is doing.

Niall Kavanagh, niall at kst.com
News, articles, and resources for web professionals and developers:
http://www.kst.com

-