A win95 question

A console application is one that is written to run in a command prompt
window in contrast to a Windows application. They don't need to deal
with the Windows event loops. Since you are using PPP, Derek's
solution will work fine except that you cannot control it from inside the
firewall. It would be better if they could start some program inside your
firewall, but lacking that a small console app, that essentially does a
ping every so often, but also listens on a predefined port for a shutdown
message. The problem with a web based applicaiton is that the user
could easily kill it inadvertently (which would make you happy until one of
those managers gets on your case). The console application in C would
be relatively easy to write (probably aout 15-30 mins for a C programmer
who has some network experience). The difficult thing is being able to
turn it off from your side. My solution would be a client-server approach:

Client in Windows 95:
Connect to the server on a known port (could be hard coded).
If connection cannot be established, exit.
Loop:
	select with timeout.
	On timeout send msg (keepalive). go to loop.
	If read, read message. (you don't need read, but when the server
	closes the connection, read returns 0.
	go to loop.

The server:
	listen on port.
	Accept connection - simply fork a new process.
	parent goes back to listen.
	child:
		simply loop on read.

The server could have a user interface an might post the connected ip
addresses of each client and the time each client is on.  essentially you
could start the thing out as a simple hack where each child just writes
it's process id (assuming Unix) to a file along with the times. You then
could simply kill the child process to knock down the connection.
Eventially the modem pool will knock down its client.

On 13 Dec 2000, at 11:53, Bill Horne wrote:

> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>
> > [snip] ...remember that Windows95 is a multi-tasking
> > system. A TSR is specifically a DOS program that actually exits, but
> > tells DOS not to deallocate its resources.
>
> I've never programmed for Win95, so my terminology is out of date.  Same idea,
> though:  set and forget.
>
> > I think what you want is a Window95 program(actually a console app)
> > that can generate keepalive or icmp packets, and may also listen on a
> > port for a shutdown message.
>
> How much do I have to learn about Win95 programming to write a "console app"?   I'd
> like to limit the time I spend on this, given that it's a very small audience of
> users, so I've got to leverage whatever is out there and I don't want to buy a
> compiler for Win95, which is why I favor Java/Javascript solutions.
>
> > I am also assuming that when he dials in, he is using PPP or SLIP. [snip]
>
> Yes, it's a Dial Up Networking connection, using PPP.  The SecurID card access is
> via a small .exe file that the users run right after they get connected to the modem
> pool:  it's a separate process, and also a black box to me. Once authenticated, they
> can go to pretty much any server in the network.
>
> Bill
>

> > On 12 Dec 2000, at 12:54, Bill Horne wrote:
> >
> > > Jerry,
> > >
> > > I'm sorry, I didn't make my request more clear.
> > >
> > > This will be an "indial only" setup: no PC-anywhere or other outdial use is
> > > needed. The company uses SecurID cards to verify indial attempts, so everybody
> > > has to initiate the connections FROM their PC, INTO the corporate modem pool.
> > >
> > > The people whom want this TSR are higher-level employees that get to break the
> > > rules if they want, and they want to log on once and leave it as long as they
> > > choose. In other words, they need a background program to run on Win95 boxes,
> > > which will send "keepalive" packets at regular intervals, and fool the modem
> > > pool controllers into thinking they're sitting at their PC's when they're not.
> > >
> > > I'd like to be able to control the TSR from inside the firewall, so that those
> > > whom abuse it can be shut off/restricted/whatever, and (frankly) so that my
> > > friend can cover his butt if someone higher up doesn't like it.
> > >
> > > All suggestions welcome.
> > >
> > > Bill

> > > --
> > > Bill Horne
> > > (Remove '.nouce', if present, for direct replies.)
> > >

> > > -
> >
> > --
> > Jerry Feldman
> > Contractor, eInfrastructure Partner Engineering
> > 508-467-4315 http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/linux/
> >
> > Compaq Computer Corp.
> > 200 Forest Street MRO1-3/F1
> > Marlboro, Ma. 01752
> > -
> > Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with
> > "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" on the first line of the
> [...]

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director