laptop recomendations

FWIW, I have had a Toshiba laptop for a couple years now,
and am quite happy with it. They seem to use all
well-established components, so have had no compatibility
problems.

Also Toshiba's seem to be lower cost for similarly equipped
machines, though they will be less personalized. Toshiba
seems to run off a million copies of the same machine, to
keep costs low. (To constrast with Dell, for instance,
which personalizes, but you pay for it.) This works, b/c
Toshiba seems to be good at including stuff you actually
might want (large hard drive etc.) and leaving out the
crap. Although they could give you more RAM.

Can't answer for the bright display issue; I don't have
very high standards in that area ;)

=====
Ken Gosier
ken_gosier at yahoo.com