A win95 question

To open another can of worms, do you know Perl?
Using Perl on the server with a ping script on the client might be an answer.
Unfortunately, the "Perl for System Administration" O'Reilly book
seems to ignore Win95/98 in favor of NT/2000.
(They have a nice script on p.119 for counting process names on UNIX.)
And a script for getting the list of running processes on Win32 (p. 103)

<Soapbox> This book is worth getting for the Appendix Tutorials:
 The 5-minute RCS; 10-minute LDAP; 8-minute XML; 15-minute SQL; 20-minute SNMP.
These don't have any Perl in them, they are just tutorials.
</Soapbox>

Timothy