Video card for viewing cable

> I am new to the Video on Linux area. Is there an FAQ for this field?
> My plans on Linux is to add the capability to view video(VCR) and TV/cable.
> Is there a recommended Video card that I should invest in? What are the video
> cards that I need to avoid? My current kernel is 2.2.16.

Are you looking for a new video card or a video capture card?  As far as I
know, most of the video cards that offer capture features are pretty
immature as far as support goes (the Voodoo3 3500 has some work done on
it, but not much).  If you're looking for just a video capture card, any
card that uses the BTTV driver is fully supported under Linux.  The
Hauppage WinTV series work especially well (a contradiction, I know).

-b

-