Now DVD playback _really_ comes to Linux!

I had pretty much given up on running DVD playback under Linux well for
a while until I recently came across this amazing package.  Xine
(http://xine.sourceforge.net) is an open-source mpeg player that
supports multiple formats and a modular design, like many others.  There
is, however, work being done on a DVD plugin for it, and it works
perfectly at http://gape.ist.utl.pt/ment00/linuxdvd.html and loses no
visible framerate.  I tried this out this evening, after grabbing the
complete Xine source with DVD plugin from the latter page, and after a
configure, make, and make install (ignore complaints about not having
alsa installed), it worked out of the box.  Just run:

xine dvd://vts_01_1.vob (don't give the /dvd/video_ts/path!)

You'll need symlinks for /dev/dvd and /dev/rdvd to your cdrom drive, and
other than that, it's a piece of cake.  I've been watching X-Men under
Linux windowed or in fullscreen all night.  It's really quite amazing,
works great on just about any PII or better processor, and never misses
a beat.  Plus, you don't need UDF kernel support, only the DVD ioctls,
which have been included in kernel >= 2.2.16.  I'd heartily suggest
checking it out.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net
Geek for hire: http://clue4all.net/resume

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
(http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20001024)
-