Ethernet - Existing home

At 03:33 PM 1/18/01 -0500, Brian J. Conway wrote:
>> Some decade soon, houses wired for cat5 will be worth more.  I just
>> *know* they will.  ;-)
>
>I really can't imagine it will.  As much of a convenience as it is to
>have in every room, something that's gonna cost you a hundred bucks for
>wiring and crimping parts (depending on the job) and a free afternoon
>really isn't likely to increase property value, I'm afraid.

Although haveing a house that is fully wired, particularly if done
properly, would cost a good bit more than $100, it certainly would be a
tiny fraction of the houses' value. However it may well increase the value
of the property, IMHO. It certainly would be a big plus to me while house
hunting.

This is the same reason why remodeling your bathroom or kitchen generally
adds 90-120% of the remodeling cost to the value of a house, while
remodeling the guest room adds almost nothing.
Sean P. Quinlan
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/squinlan/index.html
mailto:squinlan at mediaone.net

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of
conversation" - Plato
-