la la land

Mike writes:
| Unix filesystems do all sorts of strange things by design.  For example,
| you can delete an open file, and then when it is closed and its reference
| count drops to zero, it will be purged.  This is strange.

Well, I wouldn't call this strange; I'd call it a simple and  elegant
solution to a common set of problems on other computer systems.

I've worked on systems for which, if you delete a file,  any  program
that  had  it open either starts getting garbage as it reads the same
blocks that are now part of another file, or errors  out  is  strange
ways.   The  "solution"  on  some systems has been to have the delete
return an error if the file is open.  These all lead to  very  tricky
programming problems as programs need to handle the error. This means
that  even  the  simplest  programs  need  to   be   aware   of   the
multiprogramming,  if  they  are  to  recover  gracefully  from  file
deletions by another process.  Or, if they don't handle  the  errors,
the  disk  gets  filled  up  with  junk files that didn't get deleted
properly because someone had them open.

The unix solution was a huge simplification of the logic of it all. A
file  is  a file, even if it no longer has a name in a directory.  If
process X opens a file,  and  process  Y  deletes  the  file  from  a
directory, neither process has any sort of error condition. No coding
is required to recover from the collision, because it's not an  error
and  there  are no anomalies.  Process X merely continues to read the
data from the file, which stays  around  as  a  nameless  file  until
process X closes it.

This also provides a simple and elegant way to create "scratch" files
that  don't  leave  behind relic data if the program bombs.  You just
create a new file, unlink it, and as long as you keep it  open,  it's
your own file that nobody else can get at. If the program bombs or is
killed, the kernel's process cleanup closes it, notes that  the  link
count  is  now  zero,  and  recycles the disk blocks.  All this works
without any need for a special "scratch file" flag and  complex  code
to scavenge just that sort of file.

Of course, lots of programs don't take advantage of this,  and  leave
behind named junk files.  But that's the fault of the programmer, not
of the OS, which has tried to make it easy for the programmer.

An interesting special case of this is a pipeline of processes,  such
as is produced by the cc command that triggers a multi-phase chain of
subprocesses.  Now, cc usually produces  scratch  files  in  /tmp  or
/usr/tmp, and if the compile bombs, garbage files can be left behind.
I've written some similar multi-process packages that don't do  this.
How? I just have the parent process open a set of scratch files, such
as files 4 thru 7, and pass them to the subprocesses.   The  programs
can either "just know" that they are to use certain pre-opened files,
or you can give them command line options like "-i5 -o7"  meaning  to
input  from file 5 and output to file 7.  The parent has unlinked all
these files, so if the entire flock is killed somehow, the files  all
get reclaimed automatically, and there's no junk left behind.

(It's also handy to say that if the debug flag is turned up  above  a
minimal level, the files aren't unlinked.  This way, during debugging
you can see all the scratch files, but when you run  with  the  debug
flag off, they become invisible.)

It's not at all strange, once you understand why  it  was  done  this
way,  and  how  to  take  advantage of it.  It's all part of why unix
software tends to be smaller  and  more  reliable  than  software  on
systems whose file systems don't work this way.

-