Solaris version number stew

The C and C++ languages are reasonably stable. However, Solaris 8 is 64 bit
capable, and the native Sun compilers for Solaris 8 do support 64 bit
pointers.
I am working with a lot of code that is cross platform between the various
Sun, HP, SGI, and Compaq platforms, including many hundreds of lines of
assembler for all the above platforms.
Sun does have all their documentation online. We just installed Solaris 8
on our Sun at work. One of the things we have in our code is tests for the
various releases. I can look it up and find out how you can tell the
various releases, usually from the uname(2) system call.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

-