Solaris version number stew

One of the issues with gcc on RISC architectures is optimizations. GCC
is an excellent compiler, but on RISC processors it generally does not
include things like scheduling. Scheduling, or reordering is normally part
of a post compile step where it takes the generated machine code and
optimizes it for the specific chip or architecture. Also, the Sun compilers
for Solaris 8.0 can generate 64 bit code where gcc is only 32 bit. So, if
you have a commercial product that needs to achieve the best
performance, then the vendor's native compiler is usually the best. This is
why Compaq's C compilers are available on Alpha/Linux.