glibc2.2 <--> rh7?

Ok, so I'm trying to keep my rh6.2 box up to date, and I see that there
are new versions of things like fetchmail and pine I'd like to have.  But
those require libcrypto and libssl, which are apparently in OpenSSL.  But
OpenSSL requires glibc2.2.  But if I try to upgrade to that, I get about a
zillion dependency warnings on things that need libdb.so which is
apparently in glibc2.0 and 2.1 but not 2.2? Am I understanding this
correctly?

Having not gone to rh7 yet, I find myself confused over what I can upgrade
to and what I can't.  For example I tried to use up2date last night (heck,
it's in my 6.2 machine) but it complained about things like
python-xmlsomething or other, rhnregister, and a bunch of other things
that again seemed like they didn't want to install unless I upgraded many
other packages.

Can somebody tell me what glibc I can and should be (safely) using with
rh6.2?  If I go to updates.redhat.com or priority.redhat.com will I run
into packages that I can't use unless I'm on rh7?

Duane

-