Mandrake 7.2 installation on old equipment

> I wonder if there's a doc somewhere that I can read that explains how
> to install the latest releases on older hardware like this? There are
> lots of old PCs lying about that the  Windoze  users  have  discarded
> because  of  the  way they are forced to upgrade.  They'd make a nice
> cluster of machines if I could only figure out how to get linux  into
> them ...

There's probably a document on installation on the Mandrake web site, or
somewhere on the CDROM.

However, I suggest you try this:

When the floppy you make from images/cdrom.img boots, press F1 for other
options.

At the boot: prompt, enter

	linux hdb=cdrom

or a similar line if your CDROM isn't a slave device on channel 0.

If this doesn't work, boot the computer again from the floppy, and press
F1 for other options.  At the boot: prompt, enter 'expert'.  You'll be
presented with an query about your cdrom.  If it's not a SCSI cdrom, select
'Other CDROM', tab to OK, and press ENTER.  The next dialog will allow you
to select a non-ATAPI driver for your CDROM (this assumes that you know what
your CDROM is.).

Another alternative is a network based installation, but that's a topic for
another note.

Good Hunting!

-