Trying to get Linux to read from Compaq CD...

I've been suffering with an install that defies gravity. I have several
old Prolinea  5100e systems that I'm trying to install Linux on but boot
disk won't read CD ROM. CDrom is Creative Model GCD-R542B and was
manufactured 10-95. I have Creative CD on my home Linux box and not
problem reading the disk but at school...
IDE drive with Jumper on CS [not on MA or SL]. Any idea what problem
could be?
Also, how do I get into change boot rom on that machine? I know about
pressing F8 after beep beep during startup but can't find any
documentation about changing startup to read boot order (drive A then
C). I would appreciate any suggestions.

Kevin

PS. please respond to all as MountIda email address is where I work

-