(FWD)linux, cable modem, and RCN

A while back, Evan Sarmiento <kaworu at bu.EDU> wrote:

| It's easy Michael. Infact, I have RCN cable.
| Download dhclient.
| Once the cable modem is connected to your nic, type dhclient eth0.
| Basically, that tool just gets you an ip address from RCN.
|
| In Debian, dhclient was automatically put into /etc/init.d, I just edited
| the configuration so it only sent a dhcp offer on eth0.

We might have a RCN cable modem soon, so I've been trying  to  follow
up  on  it.   So far, I haven't found any clues about anything called
"dhclient" on this (valinux) machine. It seems that there should be a
way  to  ask rpm where it is on the install CD, but "man rpm" doesn't
seem to contain any clues. The find(1) command can't find it  ...

Actually, asking altavista does turn up a few matches for "dhclient",
and they all seem to be in Debian bug reports.

(It would be embarrassing if we could get RCN to talk  to  my  wife's
Windoze  machine, but I had to keep using a dialup account to get out
to the rest of the world.  Of course, RCN knows how to install it  on
Windoze,  but  their  people  seem  to  think that linux is a Peanuts
character.  ;-)

-