BBLISA: Re: Windows NT/2000 Laptop network backup options?

Aside from the technical merits or lack thereof of Legato (I'm mostly in
the "lack thereof" camp, but you've heard it all before), Dave's mail
points out another Legatoism that I *really* dislike, their business
practices:

>Legato said "Sure.  You'd have to re-purchase not only the server software
>itself, but a 100user 'client pack' for the new server as well.  No, you
>can't transfer your old one, you'll have to re-purchase.  Oh, and you'll
>need the licenses for your tape changer as well."

To which I'll add another experience, this time with their tech support:
"why yes, it's 3pm, but we won't have someone available to call you back
until 5pm, and you only have a 9-5 support contract, so we'll be billing
you at <megabucks> for this call".

It's things like that that make me even more cross than the software
simply sucking.

I no longer have any operational responsibility for backups, but FWIW,
the people I work with that do are extremely happy with ADSM/TSM, and I
believe they're pushing several terabytes around with it these days.

andrew
-