[BLU] Can't access remote machine anymore

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Phil Buckley wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas why I can't get to a machine today, that I could
> get to yesterday?
>
> I administer a machine remotely for a friend of mine (RH6.2). I check
> in on it each morning via ssh. Everything has been fine for the past
> few months, but then this morning - "Unable to connect"
>
> I can still pick up mail on it, and ftp is available, and apache is up
> and running...

I had this happen to me just last week, where I could not get to my home
server from work via ssh.  The problem turned out to be my company's DNS
records got screwed up, and sshd gets very upset if it cannot determine
your IP address and host name in both directions, and that you are on the
guest list.

I would make sure whatever IP address you are at has not changed recently.
Then I would ask an unrelated DNS box to resolve your host name and IP in
both directions.  Or maybe the DNS that your friend's box is relying upon
is hosed.

Good luck
DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Football is not a contact sport; it is a collision sport.
DK KD  Dancing is a contact sport.              --Vince Lombardi
DDDD

-