Microsoft hits new ethical low point?

On 18 Feb 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Except there is no open-source compiler suite for windows (I suppose
> there is CygWin, but that doesn't really give you MFC).  There is
> certainly no open-source install-builder for windows.  Having an
> open-source windows app (not that there are many) doesn't help when
> you have to pay $$$ in order to get a reasonable development
> environment.

There is, as you note, Cygwin.

There are a multitude of Java development tools.

Microsoft's Windows Installer is free. There are numerous other free
installers (I can name at least 5).

Instead of MFC you can use wxWindows, which will also let you port your
GUI apps easily to other OSes. There are other options also, such as YACL.

wxWindows and YACL are open source. I'm pretty sure I remember at least
one open source installer, but I can't seem to find it.

> open-source windows app (not that there are many) doesn't help when
> you have to pay $$$ in order to get a reasonable development
> environment.

You hit the nail on the head here. Open source is not the primary concern
in the Windows world. It's cost. There a free tools aplenty, they just
might not be liberated. ;)

Niall Kavanagh, niall at kst.com
News, articles, and resources for web professionals and developers:
http://www.kst.com

-