Boston Linux Installfest IX Saturday, March 3, 2001

Tarnhelm is currently a P133 I think we have one 9GB and one 6GB
SCSI. I have not looked at the web transactions, but we do host several
mailing lists, several with 200 members or more. One of our 200 member
lists does over 100 messages a day. For the most part, I'm seeing email
messages get through rather quickly. John wants to put more content on
the BLU web page, such as the videos for the meetings. The main issue
we have is disk space (we had the 9GB filled up this weekend which
messed up a few digests), age  and form factor.

We could easily upgrade it with more disk. However, the machine is old,
and I'm concerned we have another power supply failure like we had last
year. The form factor issue is that it is an old Gateway full tower, which
does not fit in the the nice racks at USDataCenters.

By going to a rack mount system, we solve the form factor problem. And,
most rack mount systems are design for the type of work that the
system is currently doing so John and I would have some piece of mind
that the box would not blow up for a year or so :-).

More memory and CPU cycles would certainly be necessary once we
start putting the video content on the machine. Also, John wanted to do
more with the sequel server.
On 26 Feb 2001, at 9:02, Patrick McManus wrote:

>   What type of hardware is tarnhelm today?
>   How much work does it do? (how big are the mailing lists.. how many
>     messages a day.. how many web transactions.. are they all
>     static-apache-things?)
>   how close to being maxed out is it? (and how do you measure that?)
>
>   are you considering adding new server based member services? (blu.org forwarding
>     accounts and/or pop service? DNS services?)
>
> -P
> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director