Help with Linux and DHCP

The reason I believed I had an IP address conflict is that this system
randomly drops off the network (HP Vectra VL 5/133 w/HP PCNet 10 and 100BT
card).  I thought a newer kernel would work, but it has made no
difference.

Some symptoms include an ssh connection from the machine to any other
system.  After any amount of time - seconds to hours, the connection
freezes, and drops.  SSH connections in behave the same.

A ping test from another in-house system showed the system 'down', then,
after about 30 seconds to a minute, back up.   The box, on a ping-out
test, was also asleep for the same time, and awoke again.

APM is disabled in the kernel, as is with BIOS.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Scott

-