thinking bad thoughts...

Agreed! And the efforts to preclude fair use of hardware also raises legal issues
UNLESS there is a clear disclaimer up front. So the ordinary consumer should
hopefully have transparent access to new technologies without finding their
previous access diminished by the new options. IF that does continue to be an
issue, it will only encourage widespread non-compliance that may eventually feed
back and severely hurt the media and hardware manufacturers. I predict that new
legal challenges to current patent and trademark practices will eventually temper
the ability of companies using "proprietary" technologies to dominate a
particular market. Until then, hackers will keep everyone on their toes!