How does ip masquerading work (overview)?

Given the cost factors there is little reason to not use a 100TX card for the
"outside", but I confess I am jealous of anyone using anything faster than
52Kb/s! I do recall someone in Chelmsford saying that late at night he got
1.5Mb/s uploads but on occasion close to 100Mb/s downloads (he had optical
fiber right up to the coax conversion box outside his house) Was I being BSed
or has someone else tested this and gotten similar results for downloads?

-