Fwd: ALERT - A DANGEROUS NEW WORM IS SPREADING ON THE INTERNET

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:31:12PM -0500, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> OK, I could accept that. Except that it's two months old. I can see

It doesn't matter if a vulnerability is two months old or 6 years old.
Many system administrators either simply don't know anything about
system security (a sad but true fact), or they don't know ENOUGH about
it to take it seriously.  Also, bear in mind that we now have all
these unwashed masses running versions of BIND that ship with thier
Linux distro's (many of which are way outdated versions that came on
CD in some book they bought at B&N).  These people mostly don't know
what system security IS, never mind how to practice it.

There are lots of reasons for people to not have these things fixed.
The largest one is ignorance.  You can't fix something you don't even
know is broken.

> If a sysadmin really is that overworked that they cannot keep recent,
> never mind current, on these issues, then management needs to wake up
> and smell the exploit. But then again, management usually doesn't pay
> attention until something happens and it's too late. I believe Bruce
> Schneier said it best when he said " Anyone who believes that
> reactionary security measures are sufficient is either ignorant, blind,
> or management".

This is both humerous and well-said, but belies the real problem.
Management falls into the same category as the poor newbie playing
with their first free U*ix distro.  They simply don't know any better.
And to make matters worse, often some managers will take an occasional
glance at a computer magazine, and convince themselves that they know
all about computer security, and make decisions based on the most
cursory understanding of the problem.  This makes all our jobs harder.
Fortunately, some managers get it, and some know they DON'T get it.
Those are the ones you want to work for.

I went to a SANS conference today...  I consider myself fairly
well-informed about security issues, and a lot of the material
presented today wasn't really all that new to me (and some of it was).
But there were some interesting things said today by both the
instructor, Jesper Johansson (who, by the way, was excellent), and also
by an FBI agent (James Hegarty) from their computer crimes division
who happened to be taking the class, which sort of opened my eyes.
Frankly, between the two of them, they've almost got me scared enough
to seriously consider purchasing liability insurance and/or a change
of career; and ironically, the enemy often is not the hackers...  Just
ask Randall Schwartz.

Good security is not easy, and it is not a joke.  Anyone who thinks
otherwise is fooling themselves.  If System/Security Administration is
your job, make sure not only that you're keeping up-to-date on
vulnerabilities, but also that your management understands what you
are doing and why you are doing it.  Get it in writing and SIGNED, if
possible.  And if it isn't possible, it may be worth considering
finding a new employer.  The risks to YOU are potentially VERY
serious.  Just ask Randall Schwartz.

  http://www.lightlink.com/spacenka/fors/faqv4p1.html#q4

  http://www.lightlink.com/spacenka/fors/

  http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/ (see: The biggest news in my life
  at the moment)

If you're interested in learning more about system security (and IMNSHO
if you're on this list you ought to be), SANS/GIAC has just added
eCoast III in Portsmouth, in April.  The material presented is both
informative and interesting.  If you're reletively new to system
security, definitely check out GIAC Track I - Security Essentials.
The three-day seminar will put you out about $1500, but it may be the
best investment in your career you've ever made...

--
Somebody set up us the bomb.
All your base are belong to us.