Linksys BEFSR81 and remote logins?

Yes. First, for each box you want to telnet or ssh to, you need to set up
forwarding of the port. This requires that you set up a static ip address
for the boxes you want to telnet or ssh to. Normally, the Linksys box uses
192.168.1.100 as the first dhcp IP address, so you should assign a static
address of 192.168.1.x to those boxes (where x is 2 <= x < 100).  Then log
into the linksys box, click on advanced, then click on forwarding. The
forwarding menu is straight forward. You can forward any port. You can also
assign one of the hosts as a DMZ host. You also should be running firmware
rev. 1.37 or later.  I don't recall which, but either 1.35 or 1.36 had a
serious bug in it.

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> I just installed a new Linksys BEFSR81 gateway/router in my home network
> (RCN for cable and Internet).  I have five machines which are configured
> via the 192.168 private network.
>
> Given the Linksys is the filter now between my PCs and the Internet, is
> there any way I can remotely log in to my machines from the outside world?
> I have two Windows boxes (NT 4 and 2000) and two UNIX boxes (Linux and
> Solaris).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Scott
>
> -