DISPLAY

dan moylan wrote:

> in trying to download/install netscape 6.1 i get display complaints,
> and must admit i'm stumbling about in the dark.  what is it i need
> to set up?
>
> polaris:root:~/tmp/netscape-installer [1044] netscape-installer
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> polaris:root:~/tmp/netscape-installer [1046] export DISPLAY=:0.0
> polaris:root:~/tmp/netscape-installer [1047] netscape-installer
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
> polaris:root:~/tmp/netscape-installer [1048] export DISPLAY=polaris:0.0
> polaris:root:~/tmp/netscape-installer [1049] netscape-installer
> Xlib: connection to "polaris:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: polaris:0.0
>
> i feel like tossing my magic cookies.

It means that you have to use xhost to give your own machine and/or user
name permission to use X. As a quick test, you can type "xhost +" in a
terminal window to turn off X access control altogether, and then try
Netscape.

> btw, are they really serious when they say one needs a 233 MHz
> processor to run netscape 6.1?  my laptop is 166 MHz.

No, they're not really serious. Of course, it will run better on a
faster processor, but if you're satisfied with the speed of your 166MHz
machine in general, it should be OK for Netscape as well. If you can,
though, consider adding RAM to your laptop. It's really cheap right now
(so long as your machine takes standard RAM DIMMs or SO-DIMMs, rather
than some sort of proprietary module), and it will make everything work
better.
-