two questions

I do this with my mediaone connection, as I'm sure many others do.  I'm
not sure how well, if at all Solaris 8 will run on a Sparc 2 though.
Mediaone doesn't seem force reconnects, as the only time my IP will renew
is if I reboot after a long period of time.  I actually have two servers
off of mediaone right now, son to be condenesed to one.  My primary
server, home.tzo.org is really agabriel.ne.mediaone.net this is a Linux
box.  My other server a Sun Ultra Blade 100 is running Solaris 8 it is
ultra.ne.mediaone.net soon to be home.tzo.org - if I get a chance to
finish moving my stuff.  So the answer to your question is yes it can be
done.  If your going to be running a Sparc 2 as a server you may want to
look at OpenBSD, it runs well on Sparc systems (although I have never
tried it on a Sparc2).  One other thing well I'm thinking about it - check
out tzo.com they have a subdomain service they sell for $20 a year, its
really a good deal.

Enjoy,
Anthony

-