MediaOne dns problems

> Lease renewal does not require a reboot. On Linux, all that should be
> necessary is to stop and start your dhcp client. On Windows, use
> winipcnfg.
Yeah but update your dhcpd clients, some older version have some
interesting bugs. Specially the one that comes with RH 6.*

> The helpless desk people think that a reboot cures all ills
> because their cookbooks assume that all their customers are even more
> clueless.
> WRT: AT&T (and before that M1) help desk. On occasion I have found
> some of these people to be totally clueless and on other occasion I found
> them to be knowledgable and even helpful. One guy was even a Linux
> user.
Yeah this is a real crap shoot. 90% of the time when you call the
help-less desk you are actually talking to someone in tennesse since the
help desk is out sourced to "Stream" help desk service. Harder issues are
transported to the Chelmsford help desk. But the fist thing their little
book says is reboot/reboot the modem then un-install/install TCP/IP...

 -Kris

-