MediaOne dns problems

In almost a year I have only been renumbered once, and it did not cause
me any grief. Are you using pump as your dhcp client?

If so, you should start your firewall script automatically from
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup (on RedHat, Caldera, Suse, Turbo??
based systems) that way when you do get renumbered, you will still be
protected (priority one!). At the end of your ipchains script (I am
assuming you are running a 2.2.x kernel) you could call another program
which will send an email to an external mail box telling you that the
ipchains script has executed, and what your ip address is. That way if
you can get to your box, you know to check the mailbox for your message
with the new ip address.

<snip>
Now as to the DNS not catching up for a day . . . . .  for under
$40/month I can live with it. That is also why I use the mediaone
mailbox - they let you set up several (I beleive up to four for no extra
charge). That way my wife has her own mail box, and I don't have to deal
with the hassle. You can set up the additional accounts on the mediaone
web site (no sitting on hold for an hour!).
</snip>

--
Tom

-