MediaOne dns problems

> Higher bandwidth, service guarantees, etc. are all worthy of the
"premium"
> moniker.  Static IP addresses are not.

But the *only* reason for having a static IP is to provide services,
thereby utilizing the upstream much more than a surfer-only.  Therefore
you want to use more bandwidth (of which upstream is a more limited
resource), but not pay for it?

> Stock prices may look gloomy, but the executive compensation picture
looks
> pretty rosy compared to my standard of living.

Stock prices have nothing to do with profitability.  Companies have to
pay the same expenditures and receive the same subscriber fees regardless
of stock prices.  Stock valuations are just an indicator of future
profitability.  Gloomy stocks indicate that those-in-the-know (or maybe
just some inane herd mentality) are worried that ISPs are not going to be
doing a good enough job squeezing money out of us subscribers.  [end
StockMarket-101]

Regarding exec compensation... that's just the way this crazy world
works.  It is not a problem endemic to ISPs or even monopolies.  My
advice to everyone: come up with some insane business plan, get funded,
cash out.  Its the American way.
-