MediaOne dns problems

One reason for them to use dynamic IP addresses is that they can set
up their routers better. In the case where their subscriber base is
growing, whenever they break up an area into two segments, they can
renumber such that all the ip addresses in a segment are adjacent. At
least this is what their technical executives were talking about. In
esscence, you want to be able to use IP address ranges in the routers.
Once they assign a static IP, they run the risk of having IP addresses
that don't fit into the range. Again, they are dealing with subnets of
contiguous addresses with a maximum of about 300 subscribers per
subnet.

On 10 Apr 2001, at 11:01, Ron Peterson wrote:

> According to who?  Sure, that's what MediaOne's marketing department
> calls
> it, but as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing "premium" about a
> static
> IP address.  In fact, it would be less work for them to manage than
> rolling them.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group