MediaOne dns problems... CONCLUSION

> >From Derek Martin:
> > Do I get the bandwidth, or not? If I do, then who cares how I use it?
>
> Just like telephone service, it's shared.  Your ability to share the
> system is based on traffic engineering principles.  (e.g.  It's
> impossible for everyone who owns a phone to make a call at the same
> time.)  So no, you don't get the bandwidth, unless you want to pay the
> premium for SDSL or some other "dedicated access".

But, they quite specifically told me I DO get that bandwitdth.  So
your argument holds no water.  If I should use less, then tell me that
I have to use less.  Fine.  If I should maintain some average
bandwidth usage, specify that.  Fine.  But don't tell me that I can
have X and then complain if I use more than some small percentage of
X.  That's bull.

They specified the bandwitdth, and they specified that the connection
is "always on" which to me means that if I want to, I can use 1.5Mb/s
down and 300kbps up 24 hrs a day and not violate my service contract,
as far as I am aware, ignoring the "providing services" issue for a
moment.  If that's correct, and since it's not possible for me to
exceed that bandwidth, then my personal opinion is HOW I use that
bandwidth is no one's business but mine, so long as I don't use it to
break the law.

In other words, if I'm allowed to saturate my connection by
downloading porn from Usenet and simultaneously playing on-line games
(which as far as I can tell, is perfectly acceptable under my
agreement), then why can't I do it by running my own web and mail
server?  What's the difference?  You have repeatedly failed to address
this point.  And that ignores the fact that those personal services do
not even make a blip on the bandwidth usage radar.  Virtually all
customers who have kids at home that play on-line games use
substantially more bandwidth than my little web server and mail
server.  So what's the problem?  Again, your argument holds no water.

> Derek, your circular reasoning is making me dizzy.  To paraphrase, "it
> costs them *almost* nothing (therefore *something*) to provide xxxx
> service, so give it to me for free.

Your paraphrase is bogus.  I never said I wanted it for free.  It's
$40 a month, which is plenty enough to make a profit off of it.
Obviously, or they would charge more, or not offer the service.  The
incremental cost of letting me run a personal web site is ZERO.  To
charge me extra to let me do this is STEALING.

Additionally, when I said it costs them almost nothing, I was
referring to providing cable Internet service, not what you call
premium services.  To provide your so-called premium services, it
costs zero. nada. zip.

If they were actually providing something, besides just permission,
then by all means, charge more.  But that's not the case.  They don't
need to add employees; they don't need to add hardware, or upgrade
their infrastructure; they don't need to spend money on training; they
don't need to do ANYTHING.  So why should I pay them for NOTHING?

No one should.

I will agree that if everyone uses their full alotment of bandwidth
all the time, they will need to spend money to upgrade their network.
We all know about over-subscription.  At that point, raise the price.
Fine.  I'll still pay it, unless there are cheaper alternatives for
comparable service.  I don't mind paying for something I'm GETTING.
But don't make me pay for something I'm NOT getting.  And don't LIE to
me.

Fortunately, most of these providers have chosen to enforce their
agreements rather loosely, even when they become aware of violations.
At least they have SOME sense...  But I resent having to sign an
agreement that restricts how I use something that I've paid for, when
the effect of doing something that I want to do which is in violation
of that agreement has ZERO impact on those that I've paid.