MediaOne dns problems

   From: David Kramer <david at thekramers.net>

   On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ron Peterson wrote:

   > Seth Gordon wrote:
   > >
   > > Shapiro and Varian, in _Information Rules_, mention how one
   > > manufacturer of laser printers (HP? IBM?) used the same motherboard in
   > > both the Foobar 1000 and Foobar 2000 printers -- except that on the
   > > Foobar 1000, one jumper on the motherboard was cut, so that it would
   > > only print half as fast.  Thus, they could sell Foobar 1000s to folks
   > > on a tight budget who were satisfied with the slower print speed, and
   > > make extra profits off the people willing to pay more for the Foobar
   > > 2000s.
   > >
   > > That's capitalism.
   >
   > That's disgusting.

   That's capitalism.

You don't know how long I've been waiting for more geeks to abandon
their libertarian errors and join the True Faith... :-)

   [many examples deleted]

Also:

Airlines charge extra for tickets bought on short notice because the
people who buy those tickets are usually business travelers with flush
expense accounts, while the price-conscious tourists can buy their
tickets weeks in advance.

Banks charge fees for ATM use, but not for services at a teller's
window, even though the ATM is cheaper than the teller.

--sethg
-