LCII question

I believe what David has is one half of what Massimo will need to hook together the
LC2 and the Laserwriter on a LocalTalk network. I still use LocalTalk to run my
Macintosh printer network (very handy for small but dispersed Macintosh networks) but
it forces me to disconnect from the ethernet network when printing. You can probably
still buy the LocalTalk to Ethernet boxes for around $100 (new) or less used and then
hook both the printer and the LC2 to your local ethernet.

One alternative which may be worth investigating is to hook up the printer to the
printer port via a standard Mac serial connection and then use the Mac as a print
server by adding an ethernet card. The issue with the LC series is similar to the 2Si
and others-- due to their low profiles they require a special adapter to fit in a
standard Nubus card. And I have never tested this approach to print services with a
Mac.

On the other hand, the LaserWriter probably has a standard parallel port as well and
can be run off a Unix server with PostScript services, which is what I intend to do
with my LaserJet once I have my full cluster up and running again. Or one could
search out the rare PC LocalTalk adapter which probably is not supported under Linux.

I also gave Massimo a friend's phone number if he needs any specialized hardware;
he's a Mac technician. I expect we will both be at the flea on Sunday.