Speaking of games (tweaking X...)

Ok, I just got Soldier of Fortune up and running on my VoodooIII card with
XFree86 3.something (whatever comes with RH6.2).  Here's what I get:

If I try to run in 640x480 mode, I get a zillion horizontal garbage lines on
the screen.  Loki suggests that it might be a refresh problem, and that I
should "tweak my modelines".

800x600 mode - screen  is much better, but still slightly garbled, such as
seeing some of the text characters not appear properly.

1024x768 - game plays properly, with no garbage.  However, when I try to exit
the screen I get a couple of big blue and white diagonal stripes across my
screen, as if it failed to refresh itself back into my normal X operating
mode.  I still have control, and can execute programs like test3dfx (which
does it's thing, but brings me back to the stripey screen).  I have to
ctrl-alt-backspace to reset X and get a login prompt again.

I normally run X in 1024x768 mode.  The 3 modes described are in my XF86Config
file, and I can get at them all by ctrl-alt- +/- through them during normal X
operation. Anybody got any help for me?  I'm willing to try "tweaking my
modelines" if I knew what that meant!  I don't want to blow anything up.  Or
if there's something I have to do to get 1024x768 mode to exit properly.

I should mention that this is a really old monitor, relatively speaking --
call it 5 years.

Thanks!

Duane

-