Verizon DSL questions

LRP 3.1.0.  You need to browse the various kernel images at www.linuxrouter.org to find
the one that most closely matches
your environment.  You'll probably want an image that has a pppoe (if you're using
Verizon DSL), ipchains, DHCP, caching DNS, etc. You can download it along with the
modules for your ethernet cards.  Since this is a router, you'll need at least 2 ethernet
cards; one for the "WAN" side (DSL connection) and one for your local (LAN) network.

I use my LRP box as a gateway/router and a firewall (running ipchains).  My Verizon DSL
"modem" is connected to the LRP box via one of the ethernet cards and the other ethernet
card in the LRP box is connected to a hub in my house.  All of the PCs in the house are
also connected to the hub.  I configured a private class C  ethernet network in my house
and all the PC's have a 192.168.x.y address, including the LAN interface of the LRP box.
The WAN side gets it IP address from Verizon via DHCP.  These addresses get "spoofed" via
IPMASQ to the outside world.

The whole set-up works great.  You can get other modules to load from the floppy, but
remember everything has to fit on a floppy.  One neat trick is the ability to format a
floppy to hold more than 1.4 MB.   I don't recall if it's the fdformat command or
something else (I'm sure someone on this list can supply the details.....it's been a
while, and I don't remember), but you can format a floppy so it will hold 1.6 MB (maybe
more) and Linux has no trouble booting from it.

The neat thing is that you can use an old "clunker" PC  that you may have lying around
for the LRP box.  You don't even need a hard drive, and it's recommended that you DON'T
use a hard drive (secruity reasons...remember this box is exposed to the outside world).

I don't even have a monitor or keyboard connected to the LRP box.  It just runs and runs
and runs....

Step through the LRP configuration, write-protect the floppy, and you're in business....

I hope this helps.....

-Chuck