From: owner-discuss at Blu.Org [mailto:owner-discuss at Blu.Org]On Behalf Of
Scott Ehrlich
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 12:36 PM
To: discuss at Blu.Org
Subject: MAC address change possible with Linksys BB router?

Hello to all:

I have a Linksys 8 port (BEFSR81) cable modem/dsl gateway/router
connecting me to RCN.  I have four machines behind it, two Windows boxes,
two UNIX-type boxes.  I recently installed some VPN software which royally
messed up my network connection to work (ai.mit.edu).  None of my four
machines can do much more than successfully ping various hosts.  No ssh,
telnet, http, ftp, nothing.   I can easily get anywhere else I want.
The same is true of all boxes.   I also tried access with the Windows
boxes shut down and just the UNIX boxes.  No luck.

I called RCN and asked them to try and delete their information about my
Linksys' MAC address, but that didn't seem to help.

Plugging the cable modem directly into any of the workstation produces a
new DHCP address and I can see ai.mit.edu hosts fine.

Resetting (both using the web interface and the switch in back) did
nothing.  I have the Linksys and cable modem unplugged for the day and see
what happens.

Thus my question - does anyone know if there is any way for me to change
the MAC address of the WAN connector of my Linksys to force a new DHCP
address?   If not, I don't know what else to do other than possibly going
with business class service from RCN and getting a static IP, which seems
almost absurd.  I paid a lot for my router, and I want to use it as it is
very useful.

Ideas/help please!

Thanks.

Scott