LINUX Setup

"wtpcprogram" <wtpcprogram at mediaone.net> writes:

> hi John, thanks for your email.  I'm now set up with a Ethernet switch and
> nic cards.  I called road runner and gave then the mac address of my second
> nic card.  the network kit came with turbolinux, when I tried to load it I
> did not see any install files.  There is a boot up image file in one
> directory but it is not a exe file.  have you ever used turboLINUX?  I also
> downloaded corel LINUX but it said I need to boot from CD or floppy and my
> Pentium 166 pc does not seem to want to boot from cd.  any ideas?  maybe I
> can log onto these sites and see.  let me know what you think.  thanks.
> Karl

I'd strongly recommend a Linksys or Netgear firewall box, either in place
of the switch or in addition to it, particularly if you're new to Linux.
You don't want to connect an unprotected machine to Roadrunner, regardless
of whether it's running Linux, Windows, MacOS, or whatever. As has been
discussed on our mailing list recently, a vulnerable machine is bound
to be broken into eventually and used to launch further attacks, and
AT&T will hold you legally liable for whatever the attackers do.

I haven't looked at TurboLinux. If it's like most Linux distributions,
the cdrom should be bootable, so assuming your machine can boot off a cdrom
and the bios is configured to try the cdrom before the hard drive, you'd
just put in the cdrom and reboot, and it would come up in the installer.

If that doesn't work, there should be a file containing a floppy disk
image, possibly called "boot.img" or something similar. The DOS program
"rawrite.exe", which should also be on the cdrom, is what you'd use to
copy the boot image onto a floppy disk, after which you'd boot off the
floppy. The floppy would then load the cdrom and continue from there.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org

-