Roadrunner

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> I've had my cable modem for over 4.5 years. I have a LanCity supplied by
> AT&T BB.

Do you think buying your own is worth it? For the ones they sell at Circui
City, it's a ~2 year payback, but ebay prices range from $30 and up.

> AT&T BB uses standard dhcp to supply you with your IP address. My
> SuSE Linux works out of the box with DHCLIENT.

I take it that PPPOE isn't used?

> I currently use a Linksys router because I have up to 6 computers in the
> house which
> might be online at any one time (3 Linux, 3 Windows).

What are the plusses and minuses of using Linksys instead of a Linux firewall?

> I used to have several good FAQs specific to Mediaone, but those URLs no
> longer
> work. They do not block any ports except possibly those associated with
> netbuei. I run Apache as well as sendmail.

If you come across any, please post them.

> I specifically turn off telnet, ftp, talk and a few more.

Because of security alone, or for other reasons too? Do you allow ssh?

Thanks.

Bill