BBLISA: Trying to push text to pager via URL

There are several Internet paging protocols supported by most paging
companies.  For example: SMTP, SNPP, WCTP, TAP (usually modem only, but
sometimes Internet too).  I'm not sure if you could get any to work with
just a shell script though. Most of the protocols are interactive.  If
you know Expect (I hate that crappy language), then SNPP may be a good
option.  You could even do SMTP directly, without relying on mail
exchangers.  WCTP requires an XML-formatted post to their web server, so
if you know how to write some socket code, it's a snap.

Also check Arch's web site for development packages.  (I don't know Arch,
but SkyTel has free C libraries for some of their supported protocols.).
Java may be available too soon.  There are some excellent WCTP links at
SkyTel's developer site (buried somewhere under the "partners" heading).

FYI, my company writes paging software that works with our "Augur" Fault
Management System, but we haven't gotten around to selling the paging
stuff separately.  Maybe we could package parts as stand-alone freebies
in the future?  I'll drop a note if/when we do, but don't hold your
breath.  The soonest we could do it would be August.

--
Chris Janicki
781-662-9424

-