Moving..stay with DSL, go cable?

1) Depends who you have for DSL.  If you have someone like Verizon, I don't
think they're going anywhere soon.  If you are using a smaller company, I may
be worried, especially with the downturn of the economy.

2) I use tzo.com for my needs off my cable modem.  Essentially you run a script
when you get a new dhcp address, dhclient has a convient one already that it
runs.  In this script, provided by tzo, you use lynx and your username auth
key to tell tzo you have gotten a new address.  Tzo then updates their dns.
So basically you update your static hostname foo.tzo.com.  You can then
utilize things like DNS CNAME records which can point to foo.tzo.com.  All my
hostnames are CNAMEs (essentially aliases) to my foo.tzo.com hostname.  Tzo
costs $2 a month for this simple service, I pay a year at a time, very
simple.  I've been using tzo for almost 2 years now and have found them very
good, 1 outage I know about, they were down for part of a day.  Essentially
you set this up, and it just works.  No more worries about changing
addresses.

	Shel

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 06:56:53AM -0400, Duane Morin wrote:
> Ok, I have a dilemma. I currently live in Quincy, where I have Telocity DSL,
> a linux server and a registered hostname 'morinfamily.com' where I get all
> of my (and my wife's) email.
>
> I'm moving shortly (within the month) to North Andover.  I figure I have
> at least two options:
>
> 1) Stay with DSL, and try to get them to just move the whole thing to my new
> address.  Problems : seems like everyone these days is saying DSL is dying,
> maybe I should bail when I have the chance?
>
> 2) Go to ATT cable modem.  Benefit : cheaper than DSL.  Problem : No static IP
> offered.
>
> I wouldn't mind the #2 route but I what do I do with my domain name?  Are
> there hosting services out there where I can say "Hey, I'll redirect
> morinfamily.com to you, you host my website, and forward any email on to me?"
> What do such
> services cost?  Any other ideas?
>
> Duane
>

> -

 / |  '     \   | |"""""""""|      	Sheldon M. Dubrowin
    /  \-'~;      |""""""""|		dubrowin at yahoo.com
   /  __/~| ._-""||        |         	www.shelnet.org