Palm Pilot/Visor and Linux questions

I currently have a Palm PIlot Professional which died a horrible death at
USENIX when I was surrounded by BSD people with devil ears :-)

I've had it for 5 years and sync it on Linux using jpilot and pilot link,
on a serial port.

I was planning to obtain an IPAQ a bit later in the year, but I use my
pilot to record my contract hours as well as for my address book and a few
other things.
(BTW: I'm currently in Denver, and my Internet access is by dialup from a
hotel, so I don't have the time to check FAQs until I get back).
Most of the new Pilots and Visors are USB, so my questions are:
1. Can I use the pilot-link and Jpilot through a USB port (2.4+ kernel).
2. Can I use my current serial cradle with the newer Palms (I'll probably
opt for a low end Palm III or possibly a Handspring Visor). The main
reason is that I want to upload my previously synced data to the new Palm
or Visor. (Essentially, I want to be able to place it in the existing
cradle and perform a pilot-xfer).

The third question has to do with the Windows based software. When
installing the Palm or Visor software on Windows, does it upgrade the
existing data bases? (This is not too important as long as I can grab my
existing data from Linux). It's just more of a convenience when I am at
work.

Lastly, does anyone have any opinions regarding whether I should get a
Palm or a Visor keeping in mind that I will be obtaining an IPAQ (Linux
based) in 3 to 6 months.

-