Laptop to PC connection via NIC cards, HOW?

Any Win X box will see another Win X box in a LAN.  They use Net BIOS to
broadcast to each other.  You need to set up your DNS primary on your
Win 2000 to the came IP address as your Linux Box.  You'll need to make
sure named services (DNS) is running on  Linux.  You can best do this
with setting up static IPs for Example 192.168.0.1 for DNS on Linux,
192.168.0.2 for the Win 2000 Laptop).  Use the DNS IP for the default
gateway when you set up the Win 2000 Laptop.  When you expand the LAN
Connection in My Network Places in Win 2000.  You should see an icon
there for you Linux box.

It's a little late.  So please excuse me if I seem to be running over,
or missing any details.

Kyle

-